Too close for comfort: That was the name of a series I did for TV five-years-ago looking at home separation. The issue is illustrated very well in the above video taken Monday in Pendleton, Indiana. Three detached homes were burning when the first firefighters arrived. There is more video from the fire here. Click here for a news clip. Also, click here and scroll down for my videos from 2004 and the NIST testing on home separation.
New – Firefighter burned battling blaze in own home: Williamsburg, Virginia firefighter Mike Trombley and his wife had just put up the Christmas decorations in their Gloucester home on Friday. The next thing they knew the living room was on fire. After hustling the family out of the house, Trombley tried to keep the fire in check while waiting for the fire department. Read the story.
Police and fire together – chiefs announce retirement rather than face budget cuts: In Saratoga Springs, New York, the police chief and the fire chief announced together at an emotional news conference yesterday they were both retiring by the end of the year. Police Chief Edward Moore and Fire Chief Robert Cogan were each going to face staffing cuts of 20-percent or more. They blame city politics for not adequately addressing the needs of protecting the public in tight budget times. Read more.
Investigation underway sparked by firehouse visitor getting lost on the way to the bathroom: A rude awakening for a career firefighter in Montgomery County, Maryland. The firefighter’s bed was mistaken for a toilet by the date of a member of the Burtonsville Volunteer Fire Department. That date apparently turned into a firehouse sleepover. Internal Affairs for Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service has the investigation. Click here to watch and read the story.
The doctor is out. DC once again looking for a new medical director: Dr. James Augustine cites health issues for his decision to pull out of the DC Fire & EMS Department after 17 months. That isn’t the only change facing the EMS side. Click here for the details.
Baltimore mayor guilty: Mayor Sheila Dixon is found guilty of taking gift cards intended for the poor. It could force her from office. Read the details.
Woman with firefighter charged in his shooting: We told you yesterday morning about an off-duty Jacksonville, Florida firefighter found shot to death at a gas station. An 18-year-old woman with 21-year-old Emanuel Porter says she didn’t know the gun was loaded when she pointed it at him. Here are the details.
Details emerge on fire chief’s suspension: Click here to read the allegations against the chief of Kentucky’s McMahan Fire Protection District. Much of it surrounds claims of misuse of money.
Geezer burns while Statter fiddles: As I wasted my time yesterday covering the wrong turn on the way to the toilet Firegeezer was covering the important stuff. One of them is how Newark, Ohio figured out how to save money by hiring firefighters. The other is FDNY reducing some engine company staffing because of sick leave use.
Ray’s latest: Click here for thehousewatch.com’s weekly installment from Ray McCormack. This one is called Tactical Safety: Night and Day, They’re Always Firemen.
Also on STATter911 …
- South Fulton, Tennessee’s Fire Department makes news after watching another house burn. ‘Pay for spray’ subscription policy in Obion County brings more heat for firefighters. – December 6, 2011
- What did the fire chief know & when did he know it? Washington City Paper raises questions about deputy chief’s retirement & Chief Ellerbe’s knowledge of faulty fleet list. – March 15, 2013
- Early raw video: Two-alarm apartment fire in Washington, DC. Another city leader takes a fall in the Nation’s Capital, but the fires keep getting put out. – June 6, 2012
- Bah! Humbug! Did DC’s mayor play Scrooge for cops & firefighters over the holidays leaving them out of the holiday bonus? Vince Gray says no. Unions say yes. – December 25, 2012
Powered by Facebook Comments