At least five businesses have been destroyed or damaged in a fire reported just before 7:00 this morning on South Main Street in Enterprise, Alabama. First arriving crews found flames and heavy smoke at Lanny’s Gym. A man who lived in the back of the gym is, at last report, unaccounted for. The fire also left a number of families homeless who live in apartments in some of the buildings.
Occupants were inside the gym when the fire started, according to a witness. Herring said all but one man had been accounted for at 10 a.m. Thursday when flames and smoke spread from Lanny’s to Scorpion Karate Academy, Care South, Jada’s Restaurant and the apartments.
Jada’s owner Dale Hundley said her and some of her staff were inside of Jada’s at 5 a.m.
“We always come in early to prepare for lunch meals, but after a while, we heard popping and crackling sounds,” she said. “Then we smelled something like wire burning and that’s when we came out the front of the building and saw the flames at Lanny’s Gym. It was horrible.”
Hundley said as the employees exited the building, “firefighters told us to get out of the building. We knew that a couple was living in an upstairs apartment in the next building, so we went and got them and they had a lot of artist paintings, so we helped them get some out. It’s bad, but I had this bad feeling yesterday and this morning. I was afraid something would happen. I can’t explain it.”
Also on STATter911 …
- Caught on video: Two views of collapse at three-alarm Birmingham, AL building fire. – March 30, 2013
- Firehouse burns in Alabama. Flat Rock VFD’s building & rigs severely damaged. – June 22, 2012
- Raw video: Apartment fire in Huntsville, Alabama. – May 15, 2013
- Alabama firefighter dies saving her grandson. Anderson FD’s Beth Childers handed boy through window but she didn’t make it out. – July 11, 2012
Powered by Facebook Comments