A violent house explosion rocked a Chantilly neighborhood Sunday night, leaving one family without their home this holiday season.
Officials tell 9 NEWS NOW Fairfax County Fire and Rescue were called to home home on Lees Corner at Pennsboro Court shortly before 9:00 p.m. for a report of a gas leak. While fire crews were on their way to the call, the house suddenly exploded. When firefighters pulled up to the scene, they found the home on fire.
Officials say two adults and two children live at the residence. Luckily, no one was home at the time of the incident and no one was injured.
All that’s left of the structure is a burned-out shell. Deputy Chief Chuck Ryan with Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, says it took hours to put out the flames, but there is no threat to anyone in the neighborhood.
Houses on either side of the explosion were also damaged.
Police at the scene say there is still a gas leak in the area, however no one has been evacuated from their homes. According to Ryan, gas lines run under the street and into the structures in the neighborhood. Ryan says the explosion may have ruptured the gas line under the street level and that’s what could be causing gas to continue to flow freely.
Crews from Washington Gas Company are on the scene. Officials say surrounding homes do have gas service at this time.
Also on STATter911 …
- UPDATED – Fireground audio: Four firefighters hurt when dwelling explodes. Same neighborhood where six homes burned two nights ago. – September 20, 2012
- Must see video & fireground audio: Natural gas explosion with fire department on scene in Springfield, MA. Firefighters, cops & gas workers hurt. – November 23, 2012
- Helmet-cam video & radio traffic: Two-alarm house fire sparked by gas explosion in San Leandro, CA. Pot growing operation discovered. – November 11, 2013
- News anchors get a bit of a scare. House explosion near TV station in Texas injures three. – July 14, 2013
Powered by Facebook Comments