A 25-foot-high wall of flame erupted on the streets of the village Thursday after a contractor working on an Orange and Rockland Utilities gas main replacement project accidentally ignited a fire.
Several firefighters, contractors and a bystander were taken to Nyack Hospital, where they were treated for conditions related to the fire and the 95-degree temperatures on the village streets.
Officials said that at the height of the fire, 2,500 O&R customers were without electricity. About 480 customers are expected to be without gas service for several days.
According to a spokeman at Orange & Rockland Utilities, a welder was working on a gas main replacement project in near North Broadway and First Avenue in Nyack when the fire erupted.
“One of the safety measures let go, either got shaken loose or fell out on its own,” said Mike Donovan. “Gas proceeded down the pipe, sparks hit the gas and the gas ignited.”
Several buildings were evacuated as a precaution.
Do you want to sell a rig? Click HERE to find out how with SellFireTrucks.com.
Also on STATter911 …
- Raw video: Multi-alarm apartment fire in Spring Valley, New York. – July 12, 2012
- Fireground audio: Townhouse explodes injuring two West Haverstraw, NY firefighters handling evacuation. Second close call for one of the firefighters in the last year. – January 16, 2012
- Pre-arrival video: Initial attack at five-alarm fire in New Orleans’ Tremé neighborhood. – October 26, 2012
- Early video & fireground audio: House explosion & fire in Schenectady, NY. – January 5, 2012
Powered by Facebook Comments