A 70-year-old grandmother has died of burns and two others — including an 8-year-old boy — remain hospitalized with critical burns from a house fire that happened Monday morning, a survivor said Tuesday.
Officials plan to transfer the youth, Demetris Gollett, to a specialized burn unit in Ohio, said his uncle, Antonio Andrews.
Andrews, Demetris and Barbara Ponders, 70, and Thomas Ponders, 72, were in the house, on north 25th Street, when a cigarette apparently ignited a couch and Thomas Ponders’ clothing, Andrews said.
Demetris wasn’t able to get out and was rescued by two firefighters about 8:30 a.m.
Demtrius could have died inside — he is also badly burned — but he was pulled out by Engine 4′s St. Lucie County Fire Rescue Lt. Steve Burns and Lt. Chris Longo.
“We just went in.. and our crew in front of us clearing the window and we just..we went in the window,” said Lt. Burns.
“Instead of going back through the window, which would have been harder, we came out through the hallway and living room that was on fire and shielded the boy,” Burns said.
They used their gear to shield him from flames and made it out with him still alive.
Do you want to sell a rig? Click HERE to find out how with SellFireTrucks.com.
Also on STATter911 …
- Must see helmet-cam video: Rescues at apartment fire in Seaside, CA. – April 17, 2013
- Caught on video: Woman rescued from Citrus Heights, CA apartment fire. – March 8, 2013
- Off duty FDNY/Long Island volunteer makes solo rescue at house fire. Smashes window with bare hands to grab 93-year-old woman. – November 13, 2012
- Raw video: Pick-up leaves Florida Turnpike, hits house & catches fire. Bystanders rescue driver. – December 19, 2012
Powered by Facebook Comments