It appears that when Plano, Texas Chief Brian Crawford decides to visit the gym on a Wednesday night, you better watch out because someone is likely to go into cardiac arrest. That’s the bad news. The good news is the two people that has happened to just three weeks apart are lucky to have had Chief Crawford and some other workers at the city run recreation center around.
You may recall the January 30 story we told you about of Chief Crawford having his workout interrupted to help the staff at Tom Muehlenbeck Center revive a 53-year-old man. Well, last Wednesday a reception was held at the rec center to honor the rescuers. The man who was revived was also there.
Matthew Watkins at DallasNews.com reports while the celebration was under way, a 62-year-old man went down in the middle of playing basketball at the center:
Again, parks department employees and the same paramedics who were being honored rushed to help the 62-year-old man. CPR was performed and the man was alert and talking by the time he was transported to the hospital.
“These CPR save stories are proof that our outreach efforts and CPR training are coming together and saving lives,” Crawford said in a press release. “Citizens are empowered with the knowledge and skill to do what needs to be done in the minutes after witnessing a cardiac arrest; calling 9-1-1 to get the fire crews on the way and performing CPR. Plano’s a great place to live, and while it may seem strangely comforting, a great place to have a cardiac arrest if you’re going to
Congratulations to all involved.
My memory is hazy on this but I recall a similar story in the Washington, DC area years ago, except that in that case the revived victim of the first cardiac arrest, coded again during the ceremony and was revived again by the same crew. Who remembers this? Was it in Howard County or possibly Montgomery County?
Also on STATter911 …
- New fire chief makes impression in Plano, TX, Brian Crawford helps save man in cardiac arrest. – February 1, 2013
- Lt. Richard Nappi, FDNY Engine 237, dies at three-alarm Brooklyn warehouse fire. Mayor says ‘Lt. Nappi overheated, suffered exhaustion and collapsed.’ – April 16, 2012
- Walter Patmon Jr. second Chicago firefighter to die in 10 days. Became ill after fire. – November 12, 2012
- Follow-up: Utica firefighters honored for saving four-year-old whose rescue was caught on video. – March 7, 2013
Powered by Facebook Comments