Do you want to sell a rig? Click HERE to find out how with SellFireTrucks.com.
Helmet-cam video and radio traffic from AlamedaCountyFire of a two-alarm fire last Monday morning at 2079 Altamont Road in San Leandro, California. According to news reports, the fire started with an explosion related to a gas leak and the lamps used for a pot growing operation. A man was injured and two of his dogs died. Here’s the description with the video.
Challenging Fire. House built on a down slope side of a mid slope road. Top floor was at street level with two levels below grade. This creates difficulty and increased risk to firefighters who must deploy down interior stairs which act like a chimney when there is fire below.
Crews deployed 4 attack lines, 2 were deployed from the exterior to cool the interior as other crews prepared to enter. Eventually 2 lines were deployed into the fire.
5 dogs escaped, 2 dogs died. No firefighters were injured, 1 civilian with minor burns.
The fire started about 9:55 a.m. Monday at 2079 Altamont Road when heat lamps used for a pot grow ignited vapors coming from a faulty gas line connected to an outdoor barbecue pit, said Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman Aisha Knowles.
The gas leak prompted a fiery explosion that blew out a wall in the three-story, two-garage home, then spread to the rest of the home owned by 46-year-old Ken Gee.
When crews arrived, they found the home ablaze and inside they discovered about 50 marijuana plants on the home’s lowest level, said Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. J.D. Nelson.
Crews, who smelled of marijuana after the blaze, controlled the fire in 30 minutes and extinguished it by 10:45 a.m., Walsh said.